Last Updated on July 26, 2016 12:01 pm
An early morning structure fire, on Tuesday morning, lead to a portion of Mast Gap Road being narrowed to one lane as fire crews battled the blaze. The fire, at 130 Will T Baird Road, involved a two story wood frame residential structure. The occupant of the home was awaken by his dog and was able to escape without any injuries.
Fire crews with Cove Creek, Foscoe and Beaver Dam responded to the scene and Watauga County Sheriff's Deputies assisted with traffic control. Crews were dispatched shortly after 3am. Watauga County Fire Marshal Steve Sudderth tells WataugaOnline.com that the cause of the fire was a faliure of the electrical system. He added that it is undetermined if the failure was due to lightning or a mechanical malfunction.
Photo: Cove Creek Fire Department