Last Updated on April 13, 2017 1:55 pm
RALEIGH – Speeding on roadways has become one of the most dangerous traffic-related issues in North Carolina. In 2016, speeding was the cause of 369 fatalities and 18,956 crashes.
The North Carolina Governor's Highway Safety Program and the Department of Transportation are launching the “Speed a Little. Lose a Lot.” campaign, which runs from April 13-23. The campaign reminds drivers that there is no reason to speed because the consequences could be more than just getting a ticket.
“Too many lives are lost each year in speeding-related crashes, and we are determined to change that,” said Don Nail, director of the Governor’s Highway Safety Program. “Any time drivers speed, they are putting themselves, their passengers, and other drivers and pedestrians at risk.”
In 2016, speeding was a contributing factor in 24.1 percent of all fatal crashes in North Carolina, which was a 4.8 percent increase over the previous year. During last year’s anti-speed campaign there were 43 fatalities, including 12 speed-related deaths.
“We are glad to partner with other law enforcement agencies during this campaign to obtain the common goal of saving lives”, said Col. Glenn McNeill, commander of the State Highway Patrol. “Speed-related deaths and injuries are totally preventable.”
Nearly 90 percent of all speeding-related traffic fatalities in North Carolina occurred on local roads — where the posted speed limits were 55 miles per hour or under.
The “Speed a Little. Lose a Lot.” campaign complements the NC Vision Zero initiative, which aims to save lives on North Carolina roadways. The goal is to reach zero traffic-related fatalities through coordinated agency-to-agency efforts that help reduce risky driving behaviors by changing the overall traffic safety culture. No loss of life is acceptable.