Last Updated on February 24, 2013 7:11 pm
This morning (Sunday Feb 24, 2013) the Boone Police Department responded to a report of a sexual assault. The victim reported that at approximately 3:30 AM she was walking alone in the vicinity of the 300 block of West King Street. A vehicle occupied by two Hispanic males stopped alongside the victim inquiring if she was okay and then drove on. A short time later, the victim was grabbed from behind, forced behind a building and sexually assaulted.
The victim described the suspect as a Hispanic male, short in height with a stocky/pudgy build.
The investigation into this incident is ongoing.
Investigators are asking anyone with information to contact the Boone Police Department at 828-268-6900 or High Country Crime Stoppers at 828-268-6959. All information will be kept confidential and you may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.
Tips for Staying SAFE:
• Always try and walk with a friend, especially during the hours of darkness.
• Be aware of your surroundings. Knowing where you are and who is around you may help you to find a way to get out of a bad situation.
• Try to avoid isolated or poorly lighted areas. It is more difficult to get help if no one is around.
• Walk with purpose. Even if you don’t know where you are going, act like you do.
• Trust your instincts. If a situation or location feels unsafe or uncomfortable, it probably isn’t the best place to be.
• Try not to load yourself down with packages or bags as this can make you appear more vulnerable.
• Make sure your cell phone is with you and charged.
• Avoid putting music headphones in both ears so that you can be more aware of your surroundings, especially if you are walking alone.