Part of downtown Boone was closed early Saturday morning due to a structure fire call. Around 4:20am Boone Fire Department units were dispatched to 525 West King Street, the apartments above Jimmy John's, for smoke visible in the area.
A couch burning was the cause, according to scanner dispatches at the time. Fire crews remained on the scene for more than an hour searching other apartment units and clearing the scene. Boone Police sent out a tweet alerting motorists to avoid the area.
Boone Fire is in the area of Jimmy Johns on King St for a structure fire. Please use caution and avoid the area
— Boone NC Police Dept (@boonepolice) February 11, 2017