Minor Fire In Sugar Grove On Wednesday, Safe Heating Recommendations

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Multiple fire departments were dispatched to what resulted in a minor fire in the Sugar Grove community on Wednesday. The morning fire, at 105 Overtheway Drive, resulted in minimal damage to a home according to Steve Marks with the Cove Creek Fire Department. There were no injuries and the cause was related to a space heater.

With the colder months ahead residents and visitors to the High Country are reminded to be aware of winter heating risk. Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February.

The agency offers these steps that can prevent most heating related fires from happening.

  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
  • Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail