(July 5 press release)
GRANDFATHER MOUNTAIN, NC – The weather data from the month of June recorded at the official US Weather Service reporting station located next to Grandfather Mountain’s Mile High Swinging Bridge shows warm temperatures and dry weather.
This month was the second warmest June at Grandfather Mountain falling just short of last year's record breaking heat. The average high temperature of 72.6 degrees was 6.1 degrees warmer than normal for June, and the average low temperature of 56.3 degrees was 3.3 degrees above normal for this time of year.
Daily high temperature records were broken five times during the month of June and tied one time.
· June 1: 82 degrees Previous: 73 degrees in 1961
· June 3: 78 degrees Previous: 74 degrees in 1989
· June 11: 79 degrees Previous: 75 degrees in 1958
· June 12: 77 degrees Previous: 77 degrees in 2010 (tie)
· June 22: 80 degrees Previous: 79 degrees in 1964
· June 29: 79 degrees Previous: 78 degrees in 1978 and tied in 2010
The all time highest June daily temperature record of 82 degrees was tied June 1. The temperature was originally recorded June 10, 2008.
The rainfall total of 3.06 inches for the past month was 3.15 inches, or 50 percent, below the 55-year average rainfall total for June of 6.27 inches. Rain for the year-to-date totals 30.62 inches, which is 1.36 inches (or 4 percent) below the 55-year norm for this time of year.
For more information on Grandfather Mountain and the 55 years of weather data, visit www.grandfather.com.