Flooding of historic proportions continues in eastern North Carolina as a result of Hurricane Matthew. In a Tuesday morning update Governor Pat McCrory said that 14 people are dead and three still missing.
The at times visibility moved Governor spoke of meeting with residents who have lost everything, including an 80-year-old woman in a shelter. More flooding is expected through much of the week in Edgecombe, Pitt, Lenoir, Greene, Bladen and other eastern counties. The President has approved McCrory’s federal disaster declaration request for 31 counties and it is expected for more counties to be added to the list.
Parts of I-95 in the eastern part of the state is still closed. The Governor also says that livestock, dead or alive, along with the loss of agriculture remains a major concern. Double digit rainfall totals, including areas that had already experience heavy rain in recent weeks, will continue to impact rivers and streams for much of the week. The Tuesday morning briefing by the Governor can be found below.