The Boone Police Department has received a number of reports recently where victims were defrauded over the telephone by fraudsters demanding pre-paid money cards. The caller will allege to be from a utility company, government agency, or fundraising organization. The caller will be very aggressive and demand the immediate payment of money via a pre-paid money card so the caller or a relative will avoid dire consequences. In most cases, the caller will demand the victim purchase a Green Dot MoneyPak card and then give them the card number. A variation of the scam involves people wishing to buy items on Craigslist and the seller will ask you to purchase a Green Dot MoneyPak card and provide them the card number so they can hold the item.
Here are some tips to help you avoid being scammed:
• Be suspicious of callers who demand immediate payment for any reason.
• Remember that anyone who has the number on a Green Dot MoneyPak card has access to the funds on the card.
• Never give out personal or financial information to anyone who emails or calls you unsolicited.
• Never wire money, provide debit or credit card numbers or Green Dot MoneyPak card numbers to someone you do not know.
• Utility companies and government agencies will not contact you demanding immediate payment by a Green Dot MoneyPak card.
If you are doubt about the legitimacy of the caller, request a callback telephone number and then contact the Boone Police Department or your local law enforcement agency for assistance.