BOONE, N.C. –– Beginning in the Fall of 2017, Appalachian State University Athletics will implement a clear bag policy for all ticketed events in Kidd Brewer Stadium. The University regularly reviews policies and procedures to improve fan and student-athlete safety. The implementation of the clear bag policy is intended to enhance patron safety and expedite entry into Kidd Brewer Stadium by reducing the time required searching bags at stadium gates. This policy also aligns with other clear bag policies from NCAA FBS institutions and the National Football League.
Appalachian State University athletics encourages all fans to adhere to the new clear bag policy and leave unauthorized items at home or in their cars.
Approved bags will include:
• Bags that are clear plastic and do not exceed 12” x 6” x 12” (bags will be available for purchase at the Appalachian State University Bookstore by early August or at designated locations outside of Kidd Brewer Stadium).
• Small clutch purses (with or without straps) that are no larger than 4.5” x 6.5”.
• One gallon clear plastic freezer bags.
• Individual seat cushion that does not include arms or pockets.
• Credentialed media and personnel will continue to enter the designated stadium checkpoints where they will be subject to screening and bag inspections.
• Exceptions will be made for medically-necessary items after proper inspection at Kidd Brewer Stadium entrances.
Bags that are no longer approved will include:
• Diaper bags
• Binocular cases
• Camera cases
• Tinted or printed pattern plastic bags
• Fanny packs
• Cinch bags
• Oversized tote bags and mesh bags
• Purses exceeding 4.5” x 6.5”
• Prohibited bags and items cannot be placed in a clear bag in order to gain entry. The clear bag is to be used as a substitute for any prohibited bag.
• This is not a restriction on items permitted within Kidd Brewer Stadium. This policy is only a restriction on the types of con tainers used to carry permitted items.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why did Athletics adopt this policy?
Clear bags policies are becoming the standard at NCAA Division I and professional sports venues. This policy will aid in improving fan safety and other venues have seen decreases in wait times to enter.
How does it make entry into Kidd Brewer Stadium more convenient for fans?
This policy allows our guests to move through our security stations at our stadium entrances faster by allowing staff to be more efficient in checking bags that are brought to Kidd Brewer Stadium. It is hoped that guests will experience shorter lines and enter the stadium with fewer delays.
How many bags can each person carry into Kidd Brewer Stadium?
Each guest can enter Kidd Brewer Stadium with one large clear bag (12” x 12” x 6” or 1 gallon clear plastic freezer bag) and an approved clutch purse (no larger than 4.5” x 6.5”). The clutch purse can be carried separately from the clear bag and will be subject to search.
Do fans have to put everything into the permissible bags?
No. Each guest is permitted to carry items such as keys, phone, wallet, credit cards, etc., if they choose not to put them in a clear bag or clutch purse. Extra jackets, blankets, binoculars without cases and cameras without cases can be carried into Kidd Brewer Stadium. Only prohibited items cannot be carried in clear bags into Kidd Brewer Stadium.
Can fans bring blankets during cold weather?
Yes. Guests are welcome to carry blankets outside of a clear bag. Blankets with pockets will be subject to search prior to stadium entry.
What can fans substitute for diaper bags?
Diapers and other baby supplies can be carried in a clear bag. Each member of a family, including children, is allowed to carry one approved band and a clutch into the stadium.
What will happen if I show up with a prohibited bag?
Guests that arrive to Kidd Brewer Stadium entrances with prohibited bags will not be permitted through the gates. In these cases, prohibited bags will need to be returned to guests’ vehicles and/or dorm rooms. Guests can then return with an approved clear bag and gain entry into Kidd Brewer Stadium.