Last Updated on June 23, 2015 3:19 pm
On June 22, 2015, at approximately 10:37 PM, Boone Police responded to 1469 W King Street (High Country Condos) for a reported vehicular assault. When officers arrived, they located the suspect vehicle attempting to leave the parking lot. The vehicle was stopped and the driver, Samuel Anderson Long, 20 years-of-age, of Graduate Lane, Boone, NC, was detained.
As a result of an investigation, it was determined that Mr. Long had been in an altercation with some people in the parking lot. Mr. Long assaulted a person and then fled the area in his vehicle. Mr. Long returned a short time later and drove through the parking lot at a high rate of speed in a careless manner. While doing this, Mr. Long struck James Henry Bame, 55 years-of-age, of 1469 W King Street. Mr. Bame suffered extensive injuries requiring hospitalization. Mr. Bame was not involved in the initial altercation.
Mr. Long has been charged with the following offenses:
• Felonious Assault with a Deadly Weapon Inflicting Serious Injury;
• Felonious Hit and Run Inflicting Serious Injury;
• Two counts of Misdemeanor Assault with a Deadly Weapon;
• Two counts of Misdemeanor Criminal Damage to Property;
• Misdemeanor Simple Physical Assault;
• Misdemeanor Driving While Impaired – .20 BAC;
• Misdemeanor Driving While Impaired – Provisional Licensee;
• Misdemeanor Reckless Driving.
Mr. Long was taken before a Watauga County Magistrate where a $75,000 secured bond was set pending a July 20, 2015, appearance in Watauga District Court.