Last Updated on February 1, 2012 10:39 am
TIMELINE FOR U.S. 321 WIDENING PROJECT IN BLOWING ROCK
January 23, 2012: Equipment moved into area; installation of advanced work zone warning signs begins.
February 1, 2012 to October, 2012: Clearing and grubbing (clearing stumps and roots) work begins. This includes building demolition.
February 14, 2012 to December 2014: Entire project grading work, which prepares a level base for the road; installation of drainage, retaining walls, culverts and utilities. Components include:
- February 13, 2012 to October 2013: Roadway widening of northbound lanes;
- April 15, 2012 to August 2012: Box culvert installation in Blowing Rock town limits (Area I) along the northbound lanes;
- September 1, 2012 to September 2013: Duct-bank (solid concrete underground structure 8-feet wide, 10-feet tall and 150-feet long, with several 6-inch pipes embedded in the concrete for utility lines) construction under the northbound lanes in the town limits (Area I);
- August 1, 2013 to August 2014: Shift traffic onto the new northbound lanes as two-lane traffic. Construction begins on the southbound lanes in the town limits (Area I);
- October 1, 2013 to August 2014: Water/sewer main construction only on the southbound lanes in the town limits (Area I);
- April 1, 2013 to August 2013: Box culvert construction on the southbound lanes in the town limits (Area I); and
- January 1, 2014 to March 2015: Southbound lane roadway widening outside the town limits (Area II), including installation of pipe culverts and aerial utility lines.
- July 1, 2012 to January 2015: Roadway paving and temporary road markings will be put down throughout the work zone as sections are completed; and
- June 1, 2015 to October 2015: Final paving layer and road markings will be put down. The outermost lanes will be installed first, followed by the inner lanes. Traffic will be shifted onto the completed lanes.
Information via NCDOT