RV fire caused by solar panel malfunction

Last Updated on June 3, 2024 9:15 am

An RV is a total loss after a fire on Saturday afternoon.

The fire, near the intersection of Bethel Road and 321, was quickly put out by Beaver Dam Fire.

A malfunction in a photovoltaic system was determined to be the cause of the fire, according to Mike Snider, Assistant Watauga County Fire Marshal. Snider said, “Unfortunately, this is the second time in the last year in Watauga County where a structure has been lost due to solar panel systems malfunctioning causing a fire.”

Watauga County Emergency Services would like to encourage anyone putting solar panels in a building “off-grid” to hire a certified electrician and follow manufacturers' recommendations for any maintenance requirements.

There were no injuries and nobody was home at the time.

Beaver Dam Fire, Cove Creek Fire, Fall Creek Fire, Zionville Fire, Watauga Medics, and Watauga Rescue responded to the scene.

Photo: Fire Marshal's Office

Back to top button