Last Updated on October 11, 2018 10:54 am
Including the cities of West Jefferson, Sparta, Boone,
Independence, Whitetop, Troutdale, Volney, and Galax
1050 AM EDT Thu Oct 11 2018
…HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM EDT FRIDAY…
The National Weather Service in Blacksburg has issued a High Wind
Warning, which is in effect until 11 AM EDT Friday. The Wind
Advisory is no longer in effect.
* Winds…Northwest 15 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60 mph this
afternoon into Friday morning.
* Timing…Through Friday morning.
* Impacts…Strong wind combined with heavy rain will cause
numerous downed trees and power outages.
* Locations…North Carolina High Country including the Southwest
* Hazards…Strong wind gusts.
A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected
or occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts
of 58 mph are likely to cause power outages…fallen trees…
property damage…and dangerous driving conditions for high
profile vehicles. Move unfastened items…such as garbage cans
and deck furniture…indoors.