Last Updated on September 6, 2016 3:31 pm
BOONE—Appalachian State University will conduct a full test of its emergency notification system – including siren, email, voice and text messaging and the Alertus desktop notification system – Wed., Sept. 7, at 11:55 a.m.
The siren test will consist of a 75-second discontinuous air horn tone followed by a pre-recorded voice message that says, “This is a test. This is a test of the emergency warning system. This is only a test.”
The all-clear activation will consist of a 20-second alert tone followed by a pre-recorded voice message. An all-clear email will also be sent to campus accounts.
Following the test, faculty, staff and students will be asked to respond to a brief survey regarding their preferred method of receiving emergency alerts and other information related to emergency messages. A link to the survey will be included in the all-clear email notification.
Appalachian uses multiple methods to notify and communicate emergency information to the campus community. The AppState-ALERT siren warning system is designed to provide campus students, staff, faculty and visitors with an audible notification of an emergency event that affects campus. Other than tests, the siren warning system will only be activated during a high risk, life-threatening emergency such as:
- An active shooter on or near campus
- A major hazardous material spill on or near campus
- A tornado warning for campus
In the event of an emergency activation, individuals on campus should:
- Seek safe shelter immediately
- Seek more information by going to the university’s emergency website (http://appstatealert.com)
- Check cell phone or email for AppState-ALERT messages (if registered to receive these messages)
- Monitor cell phone, email or the emergency website for updates until the “all clear” is given
Examples of the tones that will be used in an emergency or during tests can be heard at http://em.emergency.appstate.edu/siren-warning-system
More information about emergency preparedness at Appalachian, including how to register for mobile phone and email AppState-ALERT emergency notification system is available at http://emergency.appstate.edu.