Last Updated on March 9, 2019 1:04 pm
Including the cities of West Jefferson, Boone, Marion,
Independence, Whitetop, Troutdale, and Volney
100 PM EST Sat Mar 9 2019
…WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON TO 5 AM
The National Weather Service in Blacksburg has issued a Wind
Advisory, which is in effect from 4 PM EST this afternoon to 5 AM
* Winds…South to southeast 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 50 mph
especially on the hilltops.
* Timing…Mainly this evening into late tonight.
* Impacts…Trees may come down given given the wet soil
conditions, increasing the potential for power outages.
* Locations…The mountains of North Carolina, up through the
Grayson Highlands and Mountain Empire region of Virginia.
* Hazards…Strong wind gusts.
A Wind Advisory is issued when sustained winds are forecast to be
31 to 39 MPH or gusts will range between 46 and 57 MPH. Winds of
these magnitudes may cause minor property damage without extra
precautions. Motorists in high profile vehicles should use extra
caution until the winds subside.