Last Updated on January 8, 2019 9:00 am
…HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY
The National Weather Service in Blacksburg has issued a High Wind
Watch, which is in effect from this evening through Thursday
* Winds…Northwest 20 to 30 mph with peak gusts up to 60 mph.
* Timing…Winds will increase late tonight. The strongest winds
are expected overnight tonight into early Wednesday afternoon,
and again Wednesday night into overnight.
* Impacts…Downed trees and power lines, potentially over a
prolonged period of time. Very difficult driving at higher
elevations through mountain passes and on north-south oriented
* Locations…The Blue Ridge Mountains from Roanoke to Watauga
* Hazards…Strong to damaging wind gusts.
A High Wind Watch means there is the potential for a hazardous
high wind event. Sustained winds of at least 40 mph…or gusts of
58 mph or stronger may occur. Continue to monitor the latest