Last Updated on February 27, 2023 11:16 am
Including the cities of West Jefferson, Boone, Independence,
Whitetop, Troutdale, and Volney
1106 AM EST Mon Feb 27 2023
…WIND ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 8 PM
EST THIS EVENING…
…HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM EST
* WHAT…For the High Wind Warning, west winds 30 to 40 mph with
gusts up to 65 mph expected. For the Wind Advisory, southwest
winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph expected.
* WHERE…In North Carolina, Ashe and Watauga Counties. In
Virginia, Grayson County.
* WHEN…For the High Wind Warning, from 8 PM this evening to 9
AM EST Tuesday. For the Wind Advisory, from 5 PM this
afternoon to 8 PM EST this evening.
* IMPACTS…Strong wind gusts can blow down trees and power lines
causing power outages. Travel will be difficult, especially for
high profile vehicles and particularly on north-south oriented
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Elevations above 3500 ft will experience
the highest wind gusts, which are expected to occur in the time
frame of 8 PM EST this evening to 6 AM EST Tuesday morning.
People should avoid being outside in forested areas and around
trees and branches. If possible, remain in the lower levels of
your home during the windstorm, and avoid windows. Use caution if
you must drive, especially at the higher elevations.