Last Updated on December 26, 2023 4:57 pm
Alleghany NC NC-Ashe NC-Watauga NC-Wilkes NC-Grayson VA-
439 PM EST Tue Dec 26 2023
…FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 745 PM EST THIS EVENING…
* WHAT…Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is expected.
* WHERE…Portions of northwest North Carolina, including the
following counties, Alleghany NC, Ashe, Watauga and Wilkes and
southwest Virginia, including the following county, Grayson.
* WHEN…Until 745 PM EST.
* IMPACTS…Overflowing poor drainage areas. Ponding of water in
urban or other areas is occurring or is imminent.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…
– At 438 PM EST, Doppler radar and automated rain gauges
indicated heavy rain. Minor flooding is ongoing or expected
to begin shortly in the advisory area. Between 1 and 4 inches
of rain have fallen.
– This includes the following streams and drainages…
Beaverdam Creek, Bear Branch, Basin Creek, Bee Tree Branch,
Beech Creek and Beaver Creek.
Additional rainfall amounts up to 1 inch are expected over
the area this evening. This additional rain will result in
– Some locations that will experience flooding include…
North Wilkesboro… Wilkesboro…
Turn around, don't drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.
Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the
dangers of flooding.
Be aware of your surroundings and do not drive on flooded roads.
When it is safe to do so, please send your reports of flooding,
including mudslides or flooded roads, to the National Weather
Service by calling toll free at 1…8 6 6…2 1 5…4 3 2 4. Reports
and pictures can also be shared on the National Weather Service
Blacksburg Facebook page and on Twitter.