HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 AM
The National Weather Service in Blacksburg has issued a High Wind
Warning, which is in effect from 11 PM this evening to 7 AM EST
Thursday. The High Wind Watch is no longer in effect.
* Winds…Northwest 20 to 30 mph with peak gusts up to 60 mph.
* Timing…Winds will increase late tonight. The strongest winds
are expected overnight into early Wednesday afternoon, and again
Wednesday night into Thursday morning.
* Impacts…Downed trees and power lines, potentially over a
prolonged period of time. Very difficult driving at higher
elevations through mountain passes and on north-south oriented
* Locations…The Blue Ridge Mountains from Roanoke to Watauga
* Hazards…Strong to damaging wind gusts.
A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected
or occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts
of 58 mph are likely to cause power outages…fallen trees…
property damage…and dangerous driving conditions for high
profile vehicles. Move unfastened items…such as garbage cans
and deck furniture…indoors.